Monday, July 9, 2012

Cite de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine: Museum at Trocadero & La Tour Eiffel

It looks like the real thing but it only a cast!










Today I spent most of the day a the  Cite de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine: Museum at Trocadero, viewing expertly crafted casts from an assortment of buildings constructed in both the Romanesque and Gothic styles.  The casts were taken in the mid-19th century architect Eugène Viollet-le-Duc and his architecture students.  Viollet-le-Duc saw a need restore and preserve Paris's rich architectural history.  In total they took more than 125 casts of important detail work as well as massive sculpture pieces.  They casts were preserved used to make the pieces that are now on display in the museum today.  The picture to the right shows a detail of Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Chartres, which I will visit in person later this week.  Below is one more of my favorite casts from the Cite de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine.


 Eglise collégiale Saint-Maxe, Bar-le-Duc, Meuse.

































La Tour Eiffel











It would not be a real visit to Paris without a trip to the famed "Eiffel Tower" so I  ate a sandwich and drank a smoothie in the shadow of La Tour Eiffel.  After I finished my lunch I walked the banks of the river and snapped photographs of the surrounding area.




No comments:

Post a Comment