Friday, July 6, 2012

St. Martin's in the Field and the National Gallery

Working diligently on my brass rubbings in the
On Wednesday I took the tube over to St. Martin's in the fields, known as "the church of the ever open door."  They provide food, council, and a welcoming space to the homeless people of the city.  All that remains of the original building is the crypts below the current building which was completed in 1726 and designed by James Gibbs.  The bodies were cleared out of the crypts and today the crypts house a cafe.  During my visit I created two rubbings from the churches collection of replica brasses.  The rubbings are created using a speciality paper and metallic brasses. 


One of my brass rubbings in progress


After I completed my brass rubbings I walked over to the National Gallery to view their collection of paintings of the Middle Ages dating from 1250-1500.  I found the audio tour helpful as I viewed this large collection of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment