Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Westminster Abbey and St. Margarets Church


Westminster Abbey, exterior view of the rose window
Today I visited Westminster Abbey and St. Margarets Church, where I learned even more about Middle Ages architecture and art.  Vicar Ben, who lead the guided tour informed us that St. Margaret's church was later built because the Abbey was beginning to look like a market place with the common people bringing in their goods and animals in some cases.  The original floor plan did not have seating and seating for wealthy people came later. Our tour group was allowed to sit in the seats where the choir sits during part of our tour and were were able to get a closer look a some of the effigies of the cathedral.  Photography is prohibited in both of the building but I was able to find an unexpected way around that in St. Margaret's, as I was asked to pose for a photograph that may later be used in their brochure.  I said that I would be more than happy to pose for their photograph as long as they took a photo of me with my camera afterwards.


Not the world's most stunning photo, but a photo in the church nonetheless!









1 comment:

  1. Did you see "Big Ben"?
    We like your blog. The architecture is beautiful.
    You are learning a lot and Ari is fine.

    JambaJoe

    ReplyDelete